Trauma & Crime Scene Cleaners – Behind The Scenes
When 1st responders leave and the crime scene tape comes down, Bio-One is dispatched to help families in need. Recently Bio-One Houston South received such a call to help an apartment community with a murder/suicide cleanup of a young married couple.
When first arriving on scene there is always a sense of uncertainty; what is behind the closed door? The initial “shock and awe” quickly subsides to a job that needs the help of Bio-One for blood remediation. A safe game plan must be formulated to properly clean such a scene.
- Determine where a safe bio- free zone is locate that is free of any blood that could potentially contain infectious diseases. This is where the staging process of tools, chemicals and other needed material can be placed for quick access.
- Proper PPE (personal protective equipment) must be worn by all technicians, the safe zone is the area where they will be suited & ready to work.
- Moving into the scene it’s crucial to work small sections & clean with Bio-One Chemicals that will destroy infectious diseases.
- If there is blood on the carpet that must be treated & then removed. With the apartment mentioned there was the master bedroom that had blood stained carpet, but the bathroom had laminate flooring. In both scenes the blood soaked through the carpet & the laminate flooring so both had to be treated & removed to expose the subfloor for further remediation.
- During the process all bio is placed into a “red bag” for transportation to the medical waste facility for proper disposal in accordance with OSHA Standards.
- Once all is remediated high powered lights are used to see if there is any blood left, the tiniest drops can hide from the naked eye, lights will help illuminate any areas of concern.
- Once fully treated Bio-One Houston South will give the apartment community a certificate of remediation so that community staff knows it’s safe to enter.
Every job is different and very unique which makes trauma and crime scene cleaning difficult and should only be performed by trained B.O.T.S. Certified technicians. Bio-One Houston South works hard to educate apartment communities about the risks involved with doing clean ups themselves. These can be very dangerous situations. We hope you never have to call but if in need Bio-One is there to help during a very traumatic event.